Thursday, January 10, 2008

Quick History Lesson

So Kelly Tilghman didn't know that talking about lynching a black man was offensive. Absolutely amazing, but then there's not much in our history texts about the ugly brutal stuff this country does to black folk, so maybe she didn't.

Let this be a history lesson for her and perhaps some others. And the suspension will help the lesson to stick in her memory and perhaps encourage her to do some reading.

I'm attributing Tiger's ability to shrug it off to a couple of things.

He's young and has no memory of all the years African Americans struggled to get this country to pass an anti-lynching law because black men were being killed for sport, especially in the South.

The other reason Tiger saw no insult in the remark is that his beloved dad is gone. If Earl Woods were alive, I imagine he would have pulled Tiger's coat on this one.

1 comment:

Kamau said...

You mean Tiger doesn't have his dad the way I have YOU ALWAAAAAAAAYS pulling my coat, and my jacket, and my shirt, and my everything else?